Cases of West Nile Virus Confirmed In Essex & Monmouth Counties
West Nile virus, a mosquito-borne disease, has always had a presence in New Jersey. In 2019, there were 8 confirmed cases. In 2018, the CDC reports there were 61 confirmed cases. Today, an article posted on NJ.com, has reported that a resident from Essex County, New Jersey and another from Monmouth County have both been infected with the West Nile virus this month.
While there have only been two confirmed cases so far this year in New Jersey, it is imperative that residents of the Garden state continue to be vigilant in the fight against mosquitoes. The colder weather is still several weeks away and biting mosquitoes will continue to be an annoyance and health risk until then.
Mosquito prevention tips
- Keep doors and windows closed or covered with screens free of rips and tears.
- Mow your lawn regularly and cut back and tall or dense overgrowth.
- Remove leaf litter and other debris that mosquitoes may hide under.
- Pick up anything on your property that allows water to accumulate. Examples include tarps, empty flower pots, old tires, and kiddie toys.
- Check your gutters to make sure that water is able to flow through without hindrance from leaves and other clogs.
- Make sure your downspouts run away from the foundation of your home.
How Arrow Pest Control can help you keep mosquito populations down
It is impossible to fully eliminate mosquitoes from your property, they are flying pests after all. That said, our Bite Back! Program was developed to significantly reduce populations of both mosquitoes and ticks that infest yards in New Jersey by treating areas where these pests breed and where they rest. A seasonal mosquito and tick control service, it includes seven treatments starting in April and ending in October.
Implementing the mosquito prevention tips and wearing a repellent approved by your physician combined with Arrow’s Bite Back! Program is the best way to protect your family from acquiring West Nile virus and other diseases spread by mosquitoes and ticks. Contact us today with any questions or to schedule your mosquito and tick treatment!
Request Your FREE Estimate
Our solutions are designed for even your toughest pest problems.
Don’t let pests affect your quality of life, here's how we can help: