Dangerous Mosquito Sweeping Through New Jersey
September 27, 2019
These days it seems that all you have to do is open up your favorite social media app to see news spreading about new threats to people’s safety and health. We certainly live in a time of information overload and sometimes stories can become sensationalized to increase ratings. However, some stories share credible threats that should not be ignored, which is why a recent article from Patch caught our attention. There’s a dangerous mosquito-borne illness sweeping through New Jersey that residents should be aware of.
The Facts About Eastern Equine Encephalitis in New Jersey
First, the good news: Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) is still rare.
However, there is growing cause for concern as 48 mosquito samples tested positive for the virus this year compared to only 10 last year, and it’s been found in 11 of New Jersey’s 21 counties.
Most people who contract EEE show no symptoms, but severe cases can lead to sudden headaches, high fevers, and vomiting. These symptoms can progress to seizures, coma, and even death. In fact, about ⅓ of the people who contract EEE die from it and many of those who don’t die end up with long-term neurological problems.
How to Protect Yourself From Eastern Equine Encephalitis
Although the stats are scary, knowledge is power. By understanding the risks, you can take steps to protect yourself and your family. While avoiding contact with all mosquitoes may be unrealistic, you can reduce your chances of getting bitten, especially when you’re at your own home.
- Reduce as much excess moisture around your home as possible. Mosquitoes need a small amount of standing water to breed, so eliminating these areas will greatly reduce the number of mosquitoes on your property.
- Cut back foliage around your house. This not only reduces areas of moisture where the sun can’t reach, but also reduces the areas where adult mosquitoes can rest during the hot parts of the day.
- Wear long sleeves and pants outdoors whenever possible.
- Wear a bug spray with DEET if you know you’ll be in an area with mosquitoes.
- Get your property treated by Arrow Pest Control.
Mosquito Control With Arrow Pest Control
Arrow Pest Control offers monthly mosquito control services to New Jersey homeowners. These treatments eliminate mosquitoes in all stages of development, greatly reducing their populations around your home. Not only will fewer mosquitoes around your home protect you from EEE, but it will also keep you safe from the many other illnesses mosquitoes can spread. And it’ll make your backyard a much more pleasant place to spend time! Contact Arrow to set up your first mosquito treatment.