How To Keep Bugs Away From Fourth of July Celebrations
July 2, 2020
Many of the fireworks, parades and Fourth of July celebrations in Essex County and New Jersey that would normally be happening this weekend have been cancelled or postponed because of the coronavirus. Unfortunate news to be sure, it’s not surprising and it certainly doesn’t have to stop families from spending quality time together. To keep mosquitoes, ants, wasps, and other pests away from your 4th of July festivities, Arrow Pest Control has put together a few pest prevention tips.
Don't Let Pests Spoil Your Independence Day
- Just like us, bugs love food. Burgers, ice cream, pasta salad, soda- it all tastes good to them. If you’re planning on enjoying a 4th of July BBQ or picnic, be sure to keep salads and side dishes as well as your protein covered. Left uncovered, ants will march across the table and dive into the feast uninvited along with other creepy crawlies wandering by. Likewise, yellow jackets and other stinging insects may touch down on soda cans or bottles.
- Keep all dishes inside until it is time to eat and take them back into the house as soon as the meal is over. You can also serve the food indoors and use the outdoor space for eating.
- Clean up any food or drink spills (inside or out) as soon as they happen.
- Cover trash cans and keep them away from the area(s) where you and your family are eating or playing.
- Eliminate standing water from your property prior to the day. This includes, but is not limited to turning over wheelbarrows, upending flower pots, picking up tarps that may be collecting water on the ground, and fixing downspouts so that they run away from the foundation.
- Repair or replace window and door screens that have been ripped or torn.
- Mow your lawn to eliminate potential resting spots for mosquitoes.
- Instead of decorating your party space with flowers that attract bugs, try using herbs such as rosemary, citronella, and sage that deter mosquitoes and other stinging insects.
Sign Up For Pest Control Service & Enjoy Pest-Free Living All Year!
Pests are not just a problem on the 4th, they pester homeowners in Short Hills, Clark, and Montclair as well as throughout New Jersey all year long. When you sign up for a home pest control plan with Arrow, you can count on our team of local NJ pest control professionals. Protecting the communities where we live and work is our mission and we take it very seriously. And with residential pest control services starting as low as $35/month, we make it affordable to get rid of insects and rodents and keep them out!
Food, fun, and patriotism are what make the 4th special. As you celebrate Independence Day this year, we truly hope it is a special one for you and that it is free of pests. If you need help keeping bugs away this summer and throughout the year, please contact Arrow Pest Control today!