Keeping the Rodents Out This Winter
There is nothing worse than lying in bed at night and hearing the pitter patter of little feet scurrying around your house. We’re not referring to your toddler who won’t stay in their bed at night. We’re talking about rodents: rats, mice, squirrels and more who make your home their own in the winter. Rodent infestations increase as the weather cools and homeowners and business owners alike need to take steps to prevent them from coming in. You also need to understand when it’s best to call the professionals to take care of your rodent problem.
Why Rodent Infestations Increase as Weather Cools
Rodents maintain a pretty consistent body temperature, so they can survive the winter and don’t need to hibernate. You might be wondering why they try to come inside for the winter if it’s not to keep warm. Primarily rodents come indoors for food. In the winter, food becomes scarce outdoors, so rodents seek other food sources. Unfortunately, restaurants and your kitchen become their number-one food source.
But they may also come inside looking for shelter. This is usually a result of trees becoming bare and brush dying off, which results in a reduction of safe places for them to nest. Your home or business may offer the next best sheltered location.
Prevention Steps for Home and Business Owners
There are several steps you can take to prevent your home or business from becoming infested by rodents.
- Store all food securely in rodent-proof containers. Glass containers with tight-fitting lids are great for cereal, grains, nuts, fruits, and pet food.
- Clean up spills quickly, wipe counters and tables regularly, sweep and mop crumbs from floors often.
- Keep trash cans closed and remove trash from your home or business daily.
- Store outdoor trash receptacles and dumpsters away from your home or business and be sure to keep lids securely closed.
- Inspect around your home or business for obvious entry points.
- Seal up openings, repair holes in screens, install door sweeps, caulk around windows, install screens in vents, check gutter and roof lines for problems.
When to Call the Professionals
Prevention is key, so having a year-round pest control plan in place is the best option for keeping rodents out of your home or business. However, if you’ve discovered a rodent problem, call a professional immediately. At Arrow Pest Control, our expert technicians will eliminate rodents from your home or business and will inspect your New Jersey property to keep them out for good.
Request Your FREE Estimate
Our solutions are designed for even your toughest pest problems.
Don’t let pests affect your quality of life, here's how we can help: