Signs Bed Bugs Leave Behind
May 31, 2017
If you were sitting in a taxi cab and you saw a bed bug on your arm, would you know it? Many people wouldn't. Yet bed bug identification is one of the most important ways you can stop bed bugs from hitchhiking into your home. Let's take a look at how you can quickly and easily identify these bugs and explore some other signs bed bugs leave behind and maybe--just maybe--we can keep them from coming home with you.
If you see a bug on your arm, there is a very good chance it isn't a bed bug. There are lots of bugs in the world. Here are 4 things that will help you figure it out.
- Adult bed bugs don't get much bigger than 4.5 mm, and bed bugs that are daring enough to come out in the day are immature bed bugs, which are much smaller. If you see a bed bug on your skin, it is likely to be the size of a gnat.
- Immature nymphs are not rust colored, like adult bed bugs. Nymphs begin a pale color and turn more brown as they mature.
- If you have good eyesight, you can look to see if the bug has six legs.
- If the bug is feeding on you, its abdomen should be a bright red.
Hopefully, you will find that the bug on your skin is not a bed bug and move on with your day. If it is a bed bug, you should take measures to contain the threat. Be sure to thoroughly check your bags, pocket book, or other carried items for bed bugs or their eggs. And wash all of your clothes on the hottest temperature.
Bed Bug Signs To Look For
- Bed bugs lay tiny white eggs. These eggs may be in a batch, or they may be scattered. Usually, you'll find them tucked in a seam or stuck to fabric.
- A bed bug sheds its skin as it grows. Shed skins will be found in areas of infestation.
- Where there are bed bugs, there is sure to be fecal evidence. These insects leave black streaks, black patches, and tiny black droppings in areas of infestation, and on the surfaces they travel across.
- Dark brown staining on sheets, pillowcases, and other fabrics are a good indication that bed bugs are present, especially if these stains are found with other signs.
- When enough bed bugs infest a location, there will be a scent. Some describe it as a moist, locker room towel.
There are many places bed bugs have been found infesting. They can be in retails stores, daycares, retirement homes, buses, trains, movie theaters, libraries, and the list goes on and on. Always be on the lookout for these bugs and signs of their presence.
If a bed bug infestation takes root in your home, give us a call. We'll help you figure out what your options are and get you on your way to being free of these tormenting pests.