Summer Cockroach Prevention For New Jersey Residents
The high population density in New Jersey makes this area a hotbed for cockroach activity, especially during the summer! Tourists flock to the beach areas and amusement parks that can be found here, increasing the number of people in our already crowded state. There are some steps that homeowners can take to help make their properties less attractive to cockroaches and therefore less of a target for an infestation. But even the helpful prevention tips we are about to share in this blog aren’t 100% effective at keeping cockroaches out! If you’ve already seen cockroaches in or around your New Jersey home or want to prevent an infestation before it occurs, the best and most effective solution is to enlist the help of a pest control professional.
Spotting a cockroach
There are many species of cockroaches so identifying them isn’t always as easy as it may seem. In fact, these pests are often confused with beetles! To help you identify these pests, here is some general information about cockroaches: cockroaches typically have flat, oval-shaped bodies and range in color from reddish-brown to black. Their size can vary from just under an inch to up to three inches in length. The three most common species found throughout the state of New Jersey are American cockroaches, German cockroaches, and Oriental cockroaches!
Cockroaches are known to transmit diseases. For this reason, it is wise to do everything that you can to keep them out of your home. These tips are especially helpful in densely-populated areas where everyone needs to do their part in order to keep cockroach activity down:
- Keep your home clean and free of crumbs and spills
- Take out the trash frequently and make sure that the trash bins are closed tight
- Store food properly in the refrigerator/freezer or in tightly-sealed containers
- Clean up yard debris, leaf piles, and excess vegetation
- Keep compost bins away from the house and covered, if possible
- Clean drains and garbage disposals often
- Repair any damaged screens or doors
- Install weather stripping and door sweeps on all exterior doors including garage and basement doors
- Remove water sources like pet bowls, bird baths, pails, kiddie pools
- Repair any damage or cracks in your siding or foundation that could allow these pests to gain access to your home
While it may be difficult to keep cockroaches out, taking these preventative measures can help deter them from invading.
Even after implementing the prevention tips mentioned above, you may still wind up with an infestation. If you are experiencing problems with cockroaches, contact the professionals at Arrow Pest Control right away! We will help you determine the pest removal plan that best suits your situation. Contact us at Arrow Pest Control in New Jersey for more information.
Their program is such that they return til the problem is solved. Today was their third visit. Steve was very thorough, professional and had a great sense of humor. I am hoping not to see him again this season! I would recommend based on our current relationship.
Request Your FREE Estimate
Our solutions are designed for even your toughest pest problems.
Don’t let pests affect your quality of life, here's how we can help: