Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Certain People More Than Others?
There are many things you need to know about mosquitoes as we head into mosquito season in New Jersey; these include a combination of home defense tips and personal mosquito prevention. Today, we're going to focus on personal mosquito prevention.
Five reasons mosquitoes might choose you to bite
- Carbon dioxide can lure mosquitoes from a distance. If several people are gathered in a yard, the plume of carbon dioxide will not go unnoticed by mosquitoes, but once mosquitoes are in your yard, they may zero in on you if you're putting off more carbon dioxide than everyone else. For instance, if you're playing tag in the backyard or playing volleyball, you may receive more bites.
- Sweet smells attract mosquitoes. Did you know that mosquitoes require sugar more than they require blood? They eat the nectar of flowers to survive. If you smell like a flower, you may get some unwanted attention from mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes have poor eyesight and will often fly low and use dark silhouettes against the bright sky to lock in on their targets. If you wear dark colors, you may receive more bites. Try wearing bright colors and see what happens.
- There are many reasons that mosquitoes choose to bite someone who has been drinking alcohol. If you have a single beer while sitting in your backyard, you could receive more bites than someone who is refraining from drinking. Alcohol increases skin temperature, can cause perspiration and an increase in carbon dioxide emissions, and also contains sugar. Together, these make you a mosquito magnet.
- Mosquitoes are drawn to certain chemicals. You may receive more bites simply because you have a particular chemical compound on your skin that attracts mosquitoes. If so, you have our condolences.
These are only some of the many ways mosquitoes may be more attracted to you than someone else, but no matter how attractive you are, you can benefit from seasonal mosquito reduction services. If you have fewer mosquitoes in your yard, you and every other attractive person you invite to your yard will receive fewer bites. If you're attractive and you live in New Jersey, we can help.
All kidding aside, no one likes being bitten by mosquitoes. The best way to prevent bites from mosquitoes and ticks all year long is to put into place a professional mosquito control program. To schedule an appointment, contact Arrow Pest Control today!
Their program is such that they return til the problem is solved. Today was their third visit. Steve was very thorough, professional and had a great sense of humor. I am hoping not to see him again this season! I would recommend based on our current relationship.
Request Your FREE Estimate
Our solutions are designed for even your toughest pest problems.
Don’t let pests affect your quality of life, here's how we can help: