What do subterranean termites look like?
The appearance of a subterranean termite varies depending on what their job is inside of the colony.
- Reproductives are the largest member of the colony, are winged, are black or brown in color and grow to between ¼ and 1/3 of an inch in length.
- The workers have a soft cream colored body, are wingless, blind and grow to only about ¼ of an inch in length.
- The soldiers are slightly larger than the workers; they have an elongated yellowish colored head and large strong jaws.
Are subterranean termites dangerous?
Subterranean termites are very dangerous to the structure of properties; they don’t bite or sting, and do not pose health risks to people. Despite their small size termites can cause great damage to the structural integrity of homes and other buildings.
If termites are left untreated and continue to feed on wood within a home it can lead to a dangerous and costly outcome.
Why do I have a subterranean termite problem?
Subterranean termites may be found living in the soil and mulch located close to homes and buildings. They feed on cellulose materials found in decaying plants and wood debris. While the termites are foraging for food sources they may find their way inside of homes through small cracks and crevices in the foundation.
Once inside they will forage for food usually discovering your home’s structural wood. Termites travel under the ground and feed on the inside of structural wood behind walls, under floors, and above ceilings, these habits make it possible for them to invade a home unnoticed for weeks, months, or in extreme cases years!
Can I control subterranean termites?
The only way to eliminate and control termites is with the help of highly trained and experienced termite control professionals. At Arrow Pest Control, we successfully control termites with the help of our licensed termite control specialists. Our termite inspectors provide a thorough inspection of your structure and property looking for signs of termites; if termite activity or signs of termites are found we will recommend and design a custom termite control plan specific to your property.
For more information about termites and how we can help you to eradicate them and make changes around your property to prevent a re-infestation, contact the New Jersey termite control pros at Arrow today.
How do I make my property less attractive to subterranean termites?
It is difficult to prevent termites from invading your property, but the following tips can help to make your property less attractive to these damaging pests.
- Remove excess moisture from your home and property by ensuring that gutters are working properly and fixing leaky fixtures or faucets.
- Remove any wood in your home that has been damaged by water.
- Seal any cracks or crevices found in your home’s foundation.
- Caulk gaps found around windows and doors.
- Store firewood distance away from the outside of your home and up off of the ground.
- Limit the amount of wood mulch used near your home.
Helpful articles about termites
Request Your FREE Estimate
Our solutions are designed for even your toughest pest problems.
Don’t let pests affect your quality of life, here's how we can help: